A Living Sacrifice
Rom. 12:1-2 instructs me to be a living sacrifice, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God — this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is — His good, pleasing and perfect will." My sacrifice should be pleasant to God, (II Corinthians 2:15), not offensive as in Deuteronomy 17:1. Although we no longer live under the Old Law, we serve the same God (Hebrews 13:8 & Malachi 3:6). Creator of all does not require animal sacrifices but He does require a living sacrifice — Me!
What do I offer to Him today?
Am I giving God my best each day?
Is there an effort made on my part in my Christian walk?
When it's time to worship, am I prepared?
Following are some examples of offerings.
- A quiet life of focus that includes study of God's Word.
Psalms 118:24; I Thessalonians 4:11-12
- An active prayer life.
Matthew 6:5-8; Proverbs 28:9; Romans 8:26-27
- Be steadfast and vigilant.
Psalms 119:80, 97, 102-104, 128; Hebrews 3:14; 6:11; I Peter 3:17-18; 5:8-9
- Practice producing fruit of the Spirit.
Galatians 5:22-26; Ephesians 4:30-5:2
- Maintain a heart of gratefulness.
Romans 14:6-8; I Corinthians 15:57; Ephesians 5:20
- Worship at appropriate times and ways.
Acts 20:7; I Corinthians 14:40; I Timothy 2:9-12
- Display to the world love, not hate or racial prejudice.
- Service to others using the talents, gifts, blessings and resources given.
Proverbs 3:27; Galatians 6:9-10; Ephesians 5:13-15; I Corinthians 15:58
- Teach others whenever possible — living a godly example before all people
II Timothy 3:15
What am I offering up?