Seek and Ye Shall Find"Many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1, 2. One should not be blinded to the existence of error but should seek TRUTH. Jesus promised, "The truth will make you free." John 8:32. Truth is the only antidote for error. This truth is accessible to all men alike. Yet there are certain basic considerations that are essential for the sincere truth seeker. Let us notice some of them.
- THE INITIAL BATTLE IS WITH YOUR OWN WILL. If you really want the truth, you can find it. John 7:17. The desire of the Holy Spirit is that you "be not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is." Eph.5:17. But you must first make up your mind that your DESIRE is to know. Then you will be ready to begin the search. A "good and honest heart" is first.
- YOU MUST HAVE A WHOLESOME, RESPECTFUL ATTITUDE TOWARD THE TRUTH. To search for it will be a waste of your time if you do not plan to accept the truth — whatever it may be. One must LOVE and BELIEVE the truth to avoid God's condemnation. (Be sure to read II Thess. 2: 10-12).
- BE SURE THAT YOUR SOURCE OF INFORMATION IS RELIABLE. God's revealed Word is the only infallible source of religious truth. The Bible writers were inspired of God. They could not err, therefore, in what they spoke by the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Scriptures are God-breathed, perfect, and all sufficient as a guide for man in his search for forgiveness and the hope of eternal life. II Tim. 3:16, 17.
- RECOGNIZE IT IS NOT YOUR PREROGATIVE TO CHANGE WHAT THE WORD OF GOD TEACHES. Be content with what you find in the BIBLE. It is possible for parents to be wrong. Remember, too, that even men who are called "preachers" and "rabbis" have NO AUTHORITY at all to bind upon you any tradition or commandment of men. They are just men—and nothing more. BUT, the Author of the Bible is GOD. The Holy Spirit simply revealed to humanity what was in the mind of God. The Bible alone makes know the will of God for you. Steer clear, then, of any disposition to prevent this divine revelation. It is perfect; you are not.
- DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO HINDER YOUR OBEDIENCE TO THE TRUTH. A soul (yours) is too valuable. The gospel of Christ is God's power to save. Rom. 1:16, 17. Your concern must be, "What does CHRIST teach me to do to have remission of sins?" Read carefully these passages: Mk. 16:15, 16; Acts2:38; Rom. 10:10; Acts 22:16; Rom. 6: 3, 4. The simple requirements of Jesus are FAITH, REPENTANCE, CONFESSION, and IMMERSION for the remission of sins.
BELIEVE the truth; OBEY it to have your soul purified. I Pet. 1:22. Let no one dissuade you from obeying the Author of eternal salvation. Hebrews 5: 8, 9. All who seek salvation in this way WILL find it.